Corr. Member Prof. Ilza Pajeva | CV
Home | CV | Publications
Degrees and titles
- 2015: Corresponding member of the Bulgarian Academy of Sciences (BAS)
- 2009 Full professor in Theoretical and Computational Chemistry, BAS, Sofia
- 2008 DSci in Pharmacology, BAS, Sofia
- 1989 PhD in Biological Science, BAS, Sofia
- 1978 MSci in Chemical Cybernetics, Mendeleev Institute of Chemical Engineering, Moscow, Russia, Diploma thesis.
- 2010-present: Full professor and Head of “QSAR and Molecular Modeling” department at Institute of Biophysics and Biomedical Engineering – BAS, Sofia
- 1981-2010: Centre of Biomedical Engineering – BAS, Sofia
International Research Experience
- 1995-present:Research stay as a visiting scientist at the Institutes of Pharmacy of the Universities of Halle and Bonn, Germany.
- 1992-1994: Research Fellow of the Alexander von Humboldt Foundation, at the Research Centre Borstel, Borstel, Germany.
- 1991: Visiting scientist at the German Cancer Research Centre, Heidelberg, Germany.
- 1989: Visiting scientist at Department of Chemical Cybernetics, Mendeleev Russian University of Chemistry and Technology, Moscow, Russia.
- 1982: Visiting scientist at the Institute of Organic Synthesis, Riga, Latvia.
Fields of Research Expertise
- Development and application of structure- and ligand based methods (including QSAR) to drug design and assessment of risk of chemicals on human health and environment;
- Cancer multidrug resistance (MDR) – mechanisms and modulation;
- ABC transporters and nuclear receptors – interactions with ligands and structure-function relationships;
- Bioactive compounds of natural origin;
- Drug-membrane interactions and artificial membranes.
- More than 140 original papers, review articles and book chapters;
- More than 1980 citations, h-index 21
- More than 150 contributions to scientific forums, of them 29 times as an invited speaker
- Referee for more than 30 journals with impact factors
- Referee for more than 30 peer-reviewed scientific journals
- Member of the Editorial board of the journals: Nucear Receptor Reserach, International Journal Bioautomation, Studia Oncologica (Bulgaria)
- Referee of Diploma and PhD theses, scientific projects for the National Science Fund of Bulgaria, 7FP and Horizon2020 programs of the EC
- Chair, co-chair and member of program/scientific/organizing committees of 20 international and 2 national scientific forums
- Referee of more than 30 national and international scientific projects, including EC 7th Framework program and Horizon2020
- 2010-present: Member of the Scientific Board of the Institute of Biophysics and of Biomedical Engineering)
- 2013-present: Member of the Executive Council of the Bulgarian Academy of Sciences
- 2014-2016: Member of the Scientific Board of SofiaTechPark (2014-2016)
- 2019-present: Member of the Executive Council of the National Science Fund of Bulgaria
- 2014-present: Lecturer on “Computer-Aided Drug Design” in the Master Program on Biomedical informatics, Faculty of Mathematics and Informatics, Sofia University;
- 2018: Lecturer in 2 international schools of EU projects (PRACE and COST Action CM1407)
- 2015: Lecturer on “In Silico Drug Design” of PhD student at the Training Center of Bulgarian Academy of Sciences
- 2011-2014: Lecturer on “Ligand-based methods in drug design” in the Master Program “In silico drig design”, University Paris Diderot, Paris 7, France;
- 2002-2004: Lecturer on “Molecular modelling and QSAR” in the Master Program on Computational Chemistry, Faculty of Chemistry and Pharmacy;
- 2002:Lecturer in the European summer university “Pharmacology of New Anticancer Drugs” 2002, Institute Bergonie, Bordeaux, France
- Supervisor of Diploma and PhD students (5 PhD students and 4 Diploma students)
Project Experience (summary of the last 5 years, 2015-2020)
- 2011-2015: Participant in the project COSMOS, FP7-HEALTH-2010-Alternative-Testing-Strategies (completed)
- 2015-2019: Member of the Management Committee of COST Action CM1407 “Challenging organic syntheses inspired by nature – from natural products chemistry to drug discovery”
- 2018-present: Member of the Management Committee of COST Action „New diagnostic and therapeutic tools against multidrug resistant tumors“
- 2017-2019: coordinator of 1 project and a team member of 3 projects financed by the National Science Fund of Bulgaria
- 2018-present: group coordinator in the National Scientific Program ”Healthy Foods for a Strong Bio-Economy and Quality of Life” financed by the Bulgarian Ministry of Education and Science
- The Cheminformatics and QSAR Society- since 1990
- Union of Scientists in Bulgaria – since 2007
- 2008-2014: Ambassador-scientist of the Alexander von Humboldt Foundation, Germany
- 2015-current: President of the Humboldt Union in Bulgaria
- 2011: Award for high scientific achievements of scientists over 35 years in a competition for high scientific achievements of the Union of Scientists of Bulgaria
- 2014-2019: 7 awards in co-authorship for oral communications and posters at international conferences and award for youth project in the field of “Biomedicine and quality of life” supported by the Bulgarian Academy of Sciences (as a supervisor)
- 2020: The Order of Merit of the Federal Republic of Germany (“Das Verdienstkreuz am Bande”)